Home remedies for treating bad breath
Your mouth is an ideal environment for bacteria to grow. Some of the species of bacteria that reside in your mouth are the normal flora and do not cause any harm while the other ones are responsible for a number of Oral health problems such as Gum diseases, Bad breath and dental cavities.
Home care tips
You can help in treating bad breath by following these simple Oral hygiene tips:
- While you cannot really eliminate the bad bacteria, you can still do much to prevent oral health problems by following good oral hygiene practices. Here are a few home care tips and home remedies that will help you cope up with the problem of bad breath.
- Brush your teeth twice a day. Once in morning, preferably after breakfast and the second time, at night before you retire to bed this eliminates all the sticky film of food and microorganisms that forms on your teeth post consuming a meal and also dislodges the bacteria from the surface of teeth and gums.
- Swish your mouth with warm salty water after eating or drinking anything. This simple measure itself can help a lot for tackling the problem of bad breath.Salt can in a way sanitize your mouth by killing the bacteria and the also helps to reduce inflammation of gums by action of osmosis.
- Use a tongue cleaner to scrape the bad bacteria off from your tongue.
- Never use toothpicks they cause more harm than good. You can use a floss for inter-dental cleaning.
Foods to avoid
Certain category of foods that have a strong Aroma like: Onions, Garlic and Cheese must be avoided.
Food grade herbs and Spices
- You can chew Parsley to freshen up your breath. Parsley is rich in Chlorophyll which acts as a natural bad breath eliminator.
- Chewing on intact clove till all it’s natural oil is squeezed out is a great way to reduce the bacterial counts in your mouth as, the Eugenol present in the cloves is a strong anti-bacterial.
- Chew Cardamom or fennel seeds to freshen the quality of your breath.
- Chewing on to Tulsi leaves a couple of times in a day helps to eliminate bad breath.
- Include Vitamin C rich foods in your diet.
- Do not skip meals as dry mouth encourages the bacterial activity.
- Suck on to a stick of Cinnamon.
Trust Vitamin C
- Vitamin C is the best friend of your gums as it helps in synthesis of Collagen fibres. Collagen works as a cement which maintains the firmness and resiliency of your gums and makes them hold onto your tooth properly. Including: Oranges, Lemons, Berries and Amla in your diet can help to ward off gum diseases in a safe and natural way.
- Also, Vitamin C rich foods stimulate the flow of Saliva and dislodge the bad breath causing bacteria.
Avoid substance abuse
Smoking cigarettes and consuming Alcohol are both known causes of foul odour from the mouth. Smoking is very bad for gingival health while Alcohol causes dryness of mouth and has a characteristic spirit like Aroma.
Apart from this certain medications which cause dryness of mouth or have a metallic taste can cause bad breath,too. So, figure out what might be the reason for your bad breath and give a shot to these remedies.
Copyright © Utpal K
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Utpal Khot
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© Utpal K., all rights reserved.
Copyright Notice: No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Utpal Khot who holds the copyright