DIETARY AND LIFESTYLE MANAGEMENT OF OSTEOPOROSIS
Osteoporosis is a preventable disease to a good extent. It can be managed by intake of a good diet.
What should a bone friendly diet for people with osteoporosis include?
Calcium-rich dairy products like milk, curd, Paneer can be consumed on a daily basis. You can take these in the form of shakes, smoothies or yogurt. Consume paneer in raw form. These create an acidic environment in the body which might lead to leaching out of Calcium from the bones. Calcium acts as a buffering agent. Calcium supplementation through various sources is the mainstay of treatment as Calcium forms the major component of the bone matrix.
- Energy creation: Helps convert food into energy.
- Protein formation: Helps create new proteins from amino acids.
- Gene maintenance: Helps create and repair DNA and RNA.
- Muscle movements: Is part of the contraction and relaxation of muscles.
- Nervous system regulation: Helps regulate neurotransmitters, which send messages throughout your brain and nervous system.
Omega 3 fatty acids
Fish should be added to the diet like Mackerel, Sardines, and Salmon is consider like oily fish is good and Omega 3 and fatty acids are very important for bone
Increased blood levels. Vitamin K may help keep blood pressure lower by preventing mineralization, where minerals build up in the arteries. This enables the heart to pump blood freely through the body.
Plant based Proteins
Include more of plant based Proteins like: Soy, Pulses etc helps in preventing leaching out of Calcium from the bones.
Vitamins C and B complex
Vitamins C and B complex is very rich in a food supplement as these help in Collagen formation.
Drinks to increase absorption of Calcium in stomach
- Include Digestive drinks like Lemon water and Apple cider vinegar diluted in water. These help in better uptake of Calcium from the food you eat by creating a favorable environment in the stomach.
- Herbal teas like Peppermint tea, Green tea, Dandelion tea, Lemongrass-Ginger tea goods for people suffering from Osteoporosis.
What all should be avoided by people having Osteoporosis?
- One should reduce the intake of Refine sugar, table salt, caffeine, and alcohol.
- Green leafy vegetables: broccoli, kale, collard greens, dried figs, turnip greens, and mustard greens. Fish: canned salmon and sardines with the bones. Nuts: almonds and Brazil nuts. Enriched foods: cereals, orange juice, beverages, and the bread that have calcium added to them.
Lifestyle changes for people with Osteoporosis
- Regular brisk walking and Yoga helps. This will be very important for daily physical activities. Exercise can help with osteoporosis in a number of ways: It stimulates bone remodeling, helps strengthen muscles, and promotes balance, coordination, flexibility, and good posture. Experts recommend getting 30 minutes of exercise each day to support bone health.
- Daily exposure to sunlight for 20 minutes helps in absorption of vitamin D by the skin.
Do you have a family member or friend who suffers from Osteoporosis. Can you recommend some more dietary changes for people who want to maintain optimum bone health even after suffering from Osteoporosis.
Copyright © Utpal K
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Utpal K
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© Utpal K., all rights reserved.
Copyright Notice: No part of this Blog can be reproduced. It cannot be utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical.